Hospital dentistry is recommended for children with extensive dental treatment needs who are apprehensive, very young or have special needs. It is for these children that we recommend treatment to be completed using general anesthesia in an operating room setting. Our doctors are credentialed and on staff at Children's Hospitals & Clinics of Minnesota-Minneapolis and Minnetonka.
Steps for Scheduling Surgery Patients
1. Our Surgery Coordinator will contact you within 10 business days. If you have not been contacted within 10 business days, please contact our Surgery Coordinator at 952-253-0381 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. To assist you with the hospital charges, please provide us with your medical insurance information so we may verify your coverage of general anesthesia/facility fees.
3. Completing a child's dental treatment using general anesthesia involves a "medical" component (the hospital/surgery center and anesthesia services) and a "dental" component (the dental treatment). Once you provide information about your medical and dental insurance coverage, we will file a request for determination of benefits with your insurance companies.
- Scheduling your child's surgery will be finalized once we receive the determination of benefits from your medical and dental insurance companies. At that time, we will contact you to schedule your child's dental treatment at the hospital and inform you of your down payment.
- *Please note: It may take 3-4 weeks to receive a response from the insurance companies.
4. Once your child's surgery is scheduled, you will need to schedule an appointment with your child's primary physician to have a pre-operative physical performed. The pre-operative history and physical must be completed within 30 days of surgery or your child's surgery could be delayed or cancelled.
- The physician completing the physical should complete the History/Physical Form included in the packet of information you will receive from our office.
- The physician's office should fax the completed physical examination form to Children's Hospital.
5. Children's Hospital will contact you to confirm your child's surgery within 48 hours before your scheduled date and provide you with instructions for any preparations you will need to make before your arrival time.
Your child's dental treatment will be completed at one of the two locations:
- Minneapolis Children's
2525 Chicago Ave. S.
Minneapolis, MN 55404
(next to Abbott-Northwestern Hospital)
- Children's Minnnetonka
6050 Clearwater Dr.
Minnetonka, MN 55343
(NE corner of the intersection of Hwy. 62/Hwy. 494)
Both facilities have pre-operative tours on Monday evenings. Information about the tours is in the booklet you will receive from Children's or you can log on to Children's Hospitals & Clinics’ website at Children’s Hospitals and Clinics MN.
To print out a Read-Along Coloring Book About Children's Hospitals and Clinics, please click here: http://www.childrensmn.org/web/forparents/042161.pdf.
A Final Note
Hospital dentistry requires substantial time for us to arrange, therefore, please contact us as soon as possible if your child's appointment must be rescheduled or cancelled. This will allow for another child in need to take this appointment slot.
While it is sometimes difficult to make the decision to have your child's treatment completed this way, we will do all we can to make the experience as safe and easy as possible. If you have any questions or need additional information, please call our Surgery Coordinator or the doctor who is treating your child.